|Name in Japanese||日向 秀樹|
|Romaji Translation||Hinata Hideki|
|Debut (Anime)||Episode 01|
|Debut (Light Novel)||Track Zero Chapter 01|
|Debut (Manga)||Heaven’s Door Chapter 01|
|Appears in||Anime, Light Novels, Manga|
|Voice Actor|| (jp) Ryōhei Kimura|
(en) David Matranga
|Is Living?||No (possibly has been reincarnated)|
|Affiliation/s||Afterlife War Front (co-founder/ co-leader)|
|Final Appearance||Episode 13|
Hideki Hinata (日向 秀樹, Hinata Hideki) is the co-founder/ co-leader of SSS along with Yuri Nakamura . He is a young man with a bright and dependable personality. Being one of the strongest and most skilled males of the group he often puts himself in situations where he will protect his companions at any cost, in many occurrences, Yuri herself. He is the main protagonist of the Heaven's Door manga.
Hinata has soft royal blue hair that ends at his neck along with somewhat messy bangs. He has sharp royal blue eyes (in some appearances have been a lavender/purple color) that match the shade of his hair. He wears the same mandatory uniform as the rest of SSS (excluding Naoi). A sandy/beige long-sleeved collared uniform coat with buttons going down vertically on its right, and a breast pocket on its top left along with horizontal pockets on each lower side. The pockets, outer collar and sleeve-tips are rimmed with a chocolate-brown color. On Hinata's left shoulder the SSS battlefront symbol can be seen. He, unlike some of the SSS males chooses not to wear the red tie originally paired with his uniform, insted he leaves his coat open which exposes the plain white buttoned down collared shirt, underneath he sports a maroon red T-shirt. Before his death, Hinata had a shaved head in episode 4, "Day Game" in his flashback. His usual neck-length blue hair had been around a mid-buzzcut.
He becomes the first unofficial member of SSS (he becomes partners with Yuri before the founding of the SSS and decides he will follow her no matter what) along with his human roommate Ooyama, and he also is the one who started calling Yuri as "Yurippe" because Yuri was his mother's name and he felt strange calling her that. He also becomes Otonashi's friend, where he usually ends up bringing up suspicions from Otonashi that he might be homosexual in which he always neglects it. He sometimes gives nicknames, such as "Yurippe" (Yuri) and 'Shiinacchi" (Shiina). He also once called Ooyama "Yampaii" because he thought it had more personality. He was the first one to use the term "Angel" when addressing Kanade. He is also the most friendly in the SSS and the most happy-go-lucky in the group. He's cheerful and flirtatious. Although he is friendly to anyone, he is only aggressive to Yui, Noda and Naoi.
Hinata is often used as a source of comedy throughout the series, one example being his conflicts with Yui and Naoi. Many unfortunate incidents befall upon him, such as when he is kicked down a pitfall trap by Yuri for touching her in the wrong spot in the first shown trip to Guild, when he was propelled into the ceiling of a classroom twice by a rocket under his chair during one of Yuri's plans to demoralize Angel (the second one is spinning, with his head inside the ceiling), being subject to cry out his inferiority to a clothespin, and almost to how easily toilet paper is flushed (both by Naoi).
In life, his team played an important baseball match. He once missed a fly ball during an important baseball game, and received drugs from his senior after the game to curb his depression. He also remembers being involved in a vehicular accident before finding himself in the afterlife. It can be speculated that the drugs weaken his health, to the point where his focus is low and made him late to notice the vehicle. Still, there is no evidence which ties the drugs and his traffic accident.
Before the events in the anime, Hinata is the protagonist of the Angel Beats ~Heaven's Door!~ manga. After his death, he arrives in the Afterlife to meet Yuri and join her in the battle against Angel. It is heavily implied that he developed romantic feelings for her, after he vows to stay with her at all times and never let her feel lonely. He rooms with Ooyama who joins both him and Yuri in their quest to find God. The manga contains their adventures prior to meeting Otonashi.
Before the ball game tournament, he receives same flashbacks on the important baseball tournament when he was still alive. When the ball game tournament started, his team (consists of Otonashi, Noda, Shiina, Yui and 3 other ordinary students) won match after match and the only team that made it to the finals, fighting against the student council team (consists of Angel, Naoi, and other ordinary students). In the last part of the final match (there was another fly ball to second), he had a second chance to fulfill his dream making him nearly vanished, but Yui had stopped him thinking she was doing revenge not noticing she crushed his happiness, making their team lose the baseball match. After that, Hinata became furious to Yui.
In Episode 10, Hinata helped fulfill Yui's last regret by proposing to her. Then showing her what would have happened if they had met in the real world, before they died. He said he would break her window with a baseball, and they'll meet when he comes to retrieve it. After that, they'll get along and before he knew it he'll be visiting her everyday. Then he'll relieve Yui's mother of her duty to take care of the bedridden Yui, and they'll marry sometime after that. After Yui's disappearance, he told Otonashi that he'll be helping him fulfill his plans. After some conflict with Naoi, he and Otonashi encountered the Shadows.
After the rest of the SSS disappeared, he was one of the members to fight the Shadows. He was reunited along with the other members. They fought the Shadows and defeated a horde of them. He, along with Otonashi, Kanade and Naoi, went to Yuri's aid (she was being consumed by the Shadows in the Guild) and rescued her in time. He was left by Yuri along with the others to combat the Shadows in the Guild. Three days later, they held a graduation and all of them receive a diploma. After the graduation, he bid farewell to Otonashi and he believes he saved up enough luck and he will use it all in the next life (to meet Yui again). This is in reference to his converation with Yui when he states that if he and Yui met in that 1 out of 6 billion chance (a reference to the world's population), he would still marry her and that he would beat the odds for her. Then, he was the third one to disappear after the graduation.
- He uses a Smith & Wesson 645 as his favoured side arm but packs a RPK-74 light machine gun when prepared for a combat operation such as in episodes 1 and 8. In cases where his role is sniping, such as in episode 5, he uses a M14 DMR sniper rifle. In the manga, he uses a spear.
- "Yes, but she's a powerful moron." (Talking about Shiina)
- "C... clothespins... pin things... they keep clothes from falling and GETTING DIRTY!" (Under Naoi's hypnosis)
- "Just a damn minute. Why did you send me flying?!" (Talking to Yuri)
- "I'll marry you! No matter what kind of sickness you have! Even if you can't walk or stand, or even if you can't have kids, I'll still marry you. I'll stay by your side. The Yui I met here isn't fake. It's the real Yui. No matter where or how I meet you, I'll fall in love with you. If I can meet you again, against the 6 billion to 1 odds, and even if your body can't move, I'll marry you." (Proposing to Yui)
- He was the one who gave a nickname to most of the characters. For example, he calls Yuri "Yurippe" (because his mother has the same name), Shiina "Shiinacchi", he comes up with Kanade's "Angel" nickname, and his reference to NPCs when talking about the 'normal' students in the afterlife school.
- In the Angel Beats! Track Zero Chapter 1, he once asked Yuri to call him "Hinacchi".
- He is shown to be enjoying his immortality and is often excited when he gets badly injured (Manga).
- In the manga, he is shown to have a large knowledge of RPG games as he compares the afterlife world to a game, calls Ooyama as "Villager A", and refers to NPCs and the protagonist's point of view with multiple choice.
- In the manga, Hinata is shown to have proposed to Angel upon his first legitimate encounter with her, as an attempt to distract her and impress Yuri. This ends badly when Yuri kicks him off of the roof of the school before Angel can reply.
- In the manga, he is shown to have a desire to protect Yuri no matter what, which is not truly seen in the anime. He also has some romantic feelings for her, as shown in his desire to stay by her side.
- In the manga, Hinata and Yuri are often mistaken as a couple.
- In the manga, he constantly takes risks in order to protect Yuri, despite the many times he has called her violent and annoying.
- In the manga, Ooyama claims that the After Life is a game and Hinata as the Protagonist.
- In the manga, he sometimes has an imaginative view of his move (for what he is supposed to do) which looks like a multiple choice for a main protagonist like in Persona series. And one of the choices is to flirt/tease, Yuri.
- In the OVA (Stairway to Heaven), he cooperates the most in Operation High Tension Syndrome. He was always seen throughout the episode in high-tension.
- He is a source of comedy throughout the series and is the most skilled in baseball.
- Shown from Otonashi's POV, it is a running gag that Hinata will compliment/flirt with Otonashi, giving space for him to wonder if Hinata is actually gay.
- At the end of the 3rd Drama CD, it is revealed that Hinata is actually gay for Otonashi, and has changed his mind about marrying Yui in the next life. Although Yuri insists the Drama CD is a second season (breaking the 4th wall) and the story supposedly takes place after the end of the first season, the Drama CDs themselves can be just considered a compilation of gags.
- He always succumbs to Naoi's hypnotism.
- He, along with Otonashi and Iwasawa, are the only ones that have a revealed death.
- He has the same english voice actor as Kise Ryota from Kuroko no Basket and even slightly resembles him.
- In the English dubbed of Angel Beats!, he has never called Shiina by her nickname.
- He was the first and last of the characters to be "chair rocketed" to the ceiling in episode 5.
- His best friend is Ooyama, but he seems to be around Otonashi a lot more in the anime.